There's an information war going on in my home state. There are many going on all over the United States. We're in a midterm election year. A political ad doesn't actually meet the definition of "propaganda". It's advertising. However, it shares a lot of the same features of propaganda. On one hand is the governor of my state. His campaign focuses on the abortion issue and claims that his opponent wants to ban abortions in the state. Is it true? It doesn't really matter. That's the message that the governor's campaign is sticking to. They are getting that part right. They're sticking to a single narrative. They understand that abortion is an extremely emotional issue for many people. However, they are forgetting that this issue is emotional for the opposition too.
On the other side is a medical doctor. His main message is that the governor failed the state during his response to COVID-19. It's also an emotional issue for many, particularly the small business owners who lost their businesses during this time. The state has estimated that 10,492 businesses were shuttered and 36% of those hadn't opened more than a year after first being closed. Certainly, this will animate many to go out and vote against the governor.
Here's a secret about both political ads and propaganda: The effective campaigns don't try to change anyone's mind. Trying to convince a liberal to vote for a conservative or visa versa is an inefficient use of resources.
No. The effective information campaign only reinforces the population's existing beliefs. That's the secret. Political campaigns want to convince their own likely voters to get out and vote. That's the campaign that wins. Whoever can mobilize their voters. In order to do that, they need to make their political bases emotional and angry. They must play on confirmation bias. That's the key to a good information campaign. Help people to believe what they want to believe. Nudge them just a little bit in the direction that you want them to go.
That's how you influence people. You can't try to push them in the opposite direction. You lead them further down the path that they were already traveling.
So who will win this information war? I'll let you know in September.
• You've probably heard Derek Chauvin was stabbed 22 times in federal prison. Did you know that he was an FBI informant?
The inmate who stabbed Derek Chauvin is John Turscak who previously worked as an FBI informant and was a former or current gang member.
• Putin orders the increase of the Russian Armed Forces by almost 170,000 military personnel per decree..
• Germany may start providing "asylum" to "queer people" from Russia.
• A Palestinian protester draped in a Palestinian flag has set herself on fire with gasoline outside a building in Atlanta Georgia that houses the Israeli consulate. Both the protester and a security guard were hospitalized with burns. The police are investigating the incident as arson and describe it as an extreme act of political protest. The security guard sustained burns on his wrist and leg, while the protester is in critical condition with third-degree burns. Authorities have recovered a Palestinian flag that was part of the protest.
• Republican Senators ask Biden administration to "immediately restrict travel" between the U.S. and China over "mysterious illness spread”.
• US Secretary of State Antony Blinken says a "pause" between Israel and Hamas "came to an end because of Hamas".
• Hezbollah has also resumed operations against Israeli forces on Israel's Northern border today.
• Video : N.Y. Rep. George Santos has officially been expelled from Congress. There will now be a special election called by N.Y. Gov. Kathy Hochul.
• A powerful geomagnetic storm is expected tonight, affecting much of Canada and parts of the Northern United States. This follows multiple strong geomagnetic storms produced by our sun on Tuesday, triggered by a solar flare that caused three separate events heading towards Earth. The NOAA Space Weather issued a forecast for a Kp index of 7, possibly reaching a low-end 8 to 6, corresponding to a G3 to a low-end G4 on the G5 rating scale. This indicates the potential for a ...
• 🇮🇱🇱🇧 - Israel will issue an ultimatum to Hezbollah to withdraw from the border, per Israeli outlets.
• Zelensky has been invited to the White House on Tuesday and will attend US senate in last-ditch attempt to save Ukraine aid.
• A U.S. F-16 fighter jet has crashed in the Yellow Sea off the coast of South Korea during a training exercise. The pilot ejected before the F-16 fighter jet crashed.
• Elon Musk will reinstate Alex Jones, with nearly 2 million people have voted with over 70.1% supporting his return. Alex Jones will be officially back on the X/Twitter platform.
• 🇮🇱🇵🇸 - Netanyahu told Biden that if he didn't act against Houthis, Israel would.
• The Yemen Houthis Rebels/Ansarallah movement warned via a video statement that hey would target all ships heading to Israel, regardless of their nationality, and warned all international shipping companies against dealing with Israeli ports.
Houthi officials say their actions are a show of support for the Palestinians.
The Full statement issued by them read as:
In the name of God, the most gracious, the most merciful
God Almighty said: “Permission is given to those who are killed because they have wronged you, and indeed, God has power to help them.” God Almighty has spoken the truth.
After the success of the Yemeni Armed Forces, with the help of God Almighty, in imposing its decision to prevent Israeli ships from navigating the Red and Arab Seas, and as a result of the Zionist enemy’s continued commitment of horrific massacres, genocidal war, and siege against our brothers in Gaza.